- Guidelines for preparing the written exam (June 2019)
New on 03.05.2018:
- Questions given for the written exam of May 2017
New on 9.10.2009:
- Reference book about probabilistic graphical models (pdf)
Information theory provides a quantitative measure of the information provided by a message or an observation. This notion was introduced by Claude Shannon in 1948 in order to establish the limits of what is possible in terms of data compression and transmission over noisy channels. Since these times, this theory has found many applications in telecommunications, computer science and statistics.
The course is composed of three main parts.
1. The foundations of information theory.
2. An introduction to coding theory for data compression and error-free communication.
3. An overview of other applications of information theory.
Tuesday PM (2PM), second semester. Room II.93 - Institut Montefiore
Oral exam in June.
Course Notes and reference book:
You can find below the original course notes in French.