Introduction to Machine Learning
Pierre Geurts and Louis Wehenkel
Université de Liège, Institut Montefiore
Starting from October 21, 2020 (and until further notice), the lectures will be exclusively given online from 9:00AM to 11:00AM, using LifeSize (link to the virtual classroom below).
List of questions for the oral exam
in January 2020-2021
about practicals and project for 2020-2021
Follow our 2020 IML Lectures in real-time on Lifesize:
NB: The room was changed on October 21.
Video recordings of past lectures:
September 16, 2020
- September 23, 2020: 8:30-10:45 and 10:45-12:30
- September 30, 2020: 8:30-10:45 and 10:45-12:30
- October 7, 2020: 8:30-10:45 and 10:45-12:30
- October 14, 2020: 8:30-10:45 and 10:45-12:30
- October 21, 2020: first part, second part.
- November 6, 2020: first part, second part.
- November 18, 2020: first part, second part.
- November 25, 2020: first part, second part, project 3.
- December 2, 2020: first part, second part.
- December 9, 2020: video.
Slides and other useful documents:
- Web page of
the reference text book (The Elements of
Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction, by Trevor
Hastie, Robert Tibshirani and Jerome Friedman)
Web page of another
reference book (Machine Learning: a Probabilistic Perspective
by Kevin Patrick Murphy)
You can find below the slides used during the lectures
Introduction to the
Lecture 1: Introduction to
Lecture 2: Classification and
Lecture 3: Linear regression
Lecture 4: Nearest neighbor methods
Lecture 5: Artificial neural
Lecture 6: Bias/variance tradeoff, Model
assessment and selection
Lecture 7: Support vector machines
and Kernel-based methods
Lecture 8: Ensemble methods and
Lecture 9: Unsupervised learning, Clustering and PCA
Last update: 21/10/2020